Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Why I want to be ragged

Well, this probably comes as a surprise but I obviously cannot remain impervious to all what has been going on recently, so here goes:

===
The Authorities,
Some College,
Some Country.

Dear Sir:

Re: Career Development and Personality Enhancement

Apropos the public debate in most of the media, I would like to say that I am strongly in favour of ragging and enumerate the reasons hereunder:

  1. Interaction with Seniors: It is only due to ragging that we get acquainted with our seniors, and the friendship cemented during the ragging days last our lifetime. Besides, as possibly even the greatest dissenters of ragging will agree, it is the seniors who are of the greatest help during our college days. Good relations with them will only help us improve our performance and enhance our grades. Those who feel that the few days of ragging are a waste of time will probably have never thought about the incremental benefits of ragging. And ragging not only introduces us to our seniors, it also makes the relationship very informal and friendly. Usually, in school we are only friends with our seniors, mere acquaintances, and the friendship is limited to a hi. But in college, the relationship should be more relaxed, more free. And ragging helps to achieve that. I am amazed to think that I know more about my school seniors whom I knew for 12 years in school, in my 2 odd years of college life. I know them by more than names, I know them as real people, and I feel that my ragging period has a lot to do with that.
  2. Knowing your batchmates: I am amazed to think how less I actually knew about my batchmates before I faced ragging along with them. Everyday, was a study in human psychology. I discovered something new about everybody well nigh everyday. Ultimately, I feel that today it is much easier to know my friends, their tastes, their hobbies, their feelings after my ragging experience.
  3. Human Relationships: I feel that ragging has left me with an acute understanding of human relationships, when to press, where to withdraw, where to use sentiments, where to use strong words, when it is enough and when it is not. I feel that the gamut of human feelings I observed during my ragging days has left me a better person when it comes to my relationships with everybody. I have come to appreciate points of view, evaluate opinions, and reward diversity. I am a better judge of human character, as the multitude of people I have met has only sharpened my observation skills.
  4. Networking: Since my ragging days, there has been an explosion of the network of my friends. I feel that I am better able to make new friends, and relate to different people much better. Apart from that, I am able to understand the priorities of others much better, and accommodate them, which results in more lasting friendships.
  5. Extrovert: I feel that I am more of an extrovert now than I was before. I am able to approach people more easily, and am able to interact with them without feeling any kind of reservations.
  6. Confidence: Perhaps, one of the greatest benefits of ragging is that it can give a great boost to your confidence levels, at least it did in my case. I can maintain my calm in difficult situations, I can control my emotions, I can hold my own against intimidating people, I can respect and be respected, I can approach strangers freely. I don't need to be chaperoned in every walk of life; instead can carve my own path, and this is only due to the diverse number of activities we had to participate in under the garb of ragging. I am more assertive now and more aware of my abilities.
  7. Aware of Surroundings: During ragging, all sorts of things are asked by the seniors, from the number of tubelights in the common room, to the location of the nearest xerox shop. It seem a little inconsequential, but I feel it makes us more aware of our surroundings, and helps us to do better in crunch situations, as we feel more at home. Besides, it also develops a sense of belonging, which motivates us to compete harder at inter-hostel, and inter-college competitions.
  8. Rediscovering Yourself: Last but not the least, you discover new facets of your own personality. We discover new hobbies, areas where we are good and where we can do better and the constant querying about ourselves, makes us introspect, and evaluate ourselves. It helps in focusing on our objectives, and defining our goals, so that we can work towards developing a strategy for achieving them. It helps in unraveling hidden faculties within ourselves, and makes us take up new and interesting work, which broadens our horizons. I feel I am more aware about myself, about my strengths and weaknesses, about my friends [and enemies], about my insecurities and victories, and this has helped me develop as an individual.
I feel that ragging is a small price to pay for all of the above improvements, and I strongly support it. However, it should be healthy, with both the senior and the junior enjoying it, which I surely did during my ragging days. I feel they were one of the best days of my life; and I surely am reaping a golden harvest and hope the others do as well.

Thus, I feel that an undue importance to ragging on the part of the authorities is not at all required. Yes, there should be a control, to prevent any untoward incident from happening. But I feel that the authorities and students alike should join hands in appreciating the benefits of ragging; and improve the interactions by organizing more competitions during this period. They should appreciate ragging in its spirit; in fact, advocate it, at the same time, keeping within their limits.

I hope better sense will prevail over all of us, and we will indulge in ragging in its true spirit and not just for the heck of it.

Thanking You,

Yours Sincerely,

Someone who has seen.
===

4 Comments:

Blogger Akruti said...

Hello , i just happened to read u r view on ragging, what u say is right but not everyone understands the right sense of ragging.hope it worksout only the way u say.my couin is emotionally affected so badly in engineering in the name of ragging that past four years he left his studies and locked himself in his room.he is always silent and scared.he is the only son. it hurts to see him like that with no fault of his. hope all the students understand the right essence of ragging. keep writing.bye

20 September 2004 at 4:28 am  
Blogger Hemanth said...

Just found Sanchar and did'nt stop reading till I reached the very first post....dont xactly agree with all the ideas up there but that is SOME terrific awesome writing from both of u...will visit and comment more...carry on..

PS: KK...if u can get ur fat ass down to my room sometime...i need help with my blog..i like the look of urs...:D

26 January 2005 at 5:28 am  
Blogger Altamont said...

Hi, wanted to let you know that my experiences have been almost identical to yours. Problem with the attitude of the authorities is that they make 'ragging' too generic a term including sadistic physical rights abuses to intelligent and well designed social excercies (they ones you mention) which only improve the student as a human being.

31 July 2006 at 4:13 pm  
Blogger maxi said...

doods be a chaggi in first year!!
and then give OP..waste ur time in that and get 0 in first class-test just because ur HP didn't allow u to not attend the useless shit meeting...i hope u will understand why ppl become depressed..(based on true experience)....ban this ...its an evil..there are better ways to develop urself

24 April 2007 at 10:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home